Thursday, December 01, 2011

Today's Random MPFreebie - XO for the Holidays Volume 4

XO for the Holidays, Volume IV

XO Publicity is a music PR firm in Portland, Oregon.  They work with a broad, eclectic range of artists, and it shows in the latest edition of their holiday sampler.

My taste in music knows few bounds, so I found quite a few pieces to like.  My FLFs (First-Listen Favorites) would have to be:

  • "I Believe in Father Christmas" from Pictures of Then,
  • "The Gift" by Beneath Wind and Waves, and
  • "Christmas Time" from Piney Gir.

There are also two covers of well-known Christmas songs--a new take on "Greensleeves" from Rags & Ribbons, and "I'll Be Home For Christmas" by Kulewa--but I'm torn on those two selections.  Both of those songs are firmly ensconced on my mental "Should Never Be Covered" list; while both bands do credible interpretations, they just didn't excite me...but I think that's more my fault than it is theirs.  You'll just have to decide for yourself.

While you're there, you can pick up the three previous releases of "XO for the Holidays." They're well worth your time and bandwidth...you'll find something to like on each of them.

Stay tuned for more Christmas freebies...

xo publicity

No comments: